Thursday, November 13, 2008

lomography

as early as kindergarten, i already knew that im not good at drawing! it was frustrating for me seeing my classmates drawing their favorite cartoon character while all i can produce is a hideous stick drawing (you'll know that i'm drawing son gouku because of the hair hahaha!!!)

i used to give my teacher in "art appreciation" a hard time because i failed to submit my plates on time. note sa blackboard:

INCOMPLETE PLATES

Dorado 1, 2, 3, 5, 6

i really have no idea how i passed that subject ;p

then, i joined the school paper and since writing is also one of my frustration (see my stalker's confession) i applied to whats left...photojournalism.

at the start i really had no idea what to do. to my surprise, my pictures came up pretty good to the point that i was confident to compete. it was an amazing feeling to win using only a kb10 against slrs and digital cameras *nyahahahaha* but the best part of taking pictures is that it took away my frustration in drawing. the world is a picture already drawn...you just have to pick which drawing to take.

i remember i used to take a foldable stool every time i take pictures to make sure i have something to stand on every time i need an angle from the top. i (we) used to lay down on the streets, climb trees, ask permission to enter residential building to get that angle you want. it was pure, hardcore photography!!!

but then...

i was introduce to "real" photography (i joined this one major photography contest) that have these rules and parameters. do this!!! do that!!! its overexpose etc. it took away the fun for me ;c

not to mention digital photography where you take a picture and then enhance it later on. i feel like im cheating my picture...my drawing...i always believe that you don't need to enhance a picture (using softwares). if you are not contented, take a better shot!!!

recently i was introduce to this group of lomographers (lomomanila) and i really enjoyed their pictures. it brought back all my fun memories with my kb10.

Lomography revolves around a simple rule: Relax, just shoot. The pictures are always yours. You give your personal touch to each photo. Colors don’t need to be realistic. You can play with colors and end up with a photo that moves you. You don't have to bring to many equipments, just one camera is enough. All you need is a film camera, not necessarily a LOMO. Even an Instamatic will do.

No comments: